GP Synergy’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Strategic Plan guides us in developing and implementing actions that improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health outcomes within the context of GP training.
Actions within the strategic plan were identified with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Committee.
To inform the plan the committee undertook an audit, that included more than 40 stakeholders including CEOs, practice managers, administrators and organisational delegates. Recommendations were made and priorities identified.
There are four priority areas for the GP Synergy Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Strategic Plan 2016-2018:
- Department of Health set strategies
- financial and infrastructure supports
- cultural awareness and safety
- professional development and networking.
To achieve implementation of the plan we established the GP Synergy Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit with cultural health mentors and educators in each of our regions.
The Cultural Education Unit is delivering the seven priority areas identified in the plan. The unit is working with NSW/ACT Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs), the Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council (AH&MRC) and other units of GP Synergy to achieve these outcomes:
- National and NSW/ACT ACCHSs cultural health educators and mentors network and resources to build up local cultural health mentorship teaching and maintain established links to the AH&MRC
- provision of cultural safety and health education for GP registrars, board members and senior management via links to our Cultural Education Unit
- development of practice manager and GP supervisor networks
- support of the Indigenous GP Registrar Network and Australian Indigenous Doctors Association
- cultural safety training options and resources for ACCHSs, with implementation of a developed cultural resource kit
- Reconciliation Action Plan implementation
- media and marketing, including webpage development and establishing video conferencing to promote programs and placements to GP registrars.
For more information about our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Strategic Plan please contact the GP Synergy Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Education Unit on 1300 477 963 or firstname.lastname@example.org.