Since the arrival of Europeans in Australia, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have suffered great injustices including massacres, introduced disease, dispossession of traditional lands and removal of children.
The social disadvantage and health issues suffered by many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, is a result of historical factors and resulting social determinants. There are a range of resources available that provide a better understanding of relevant events, government policy and discrimination.
- Solitaire Explore: This app, developed by GP Synergy’s Aboriginal Liaison Officer Aunty Val Dahlstrom, provides players with insights into the events that have shaped the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It is available for free from the Apple App Store and Google Play for Android.
- Bringing them Home: is an educational project launched 20 years after the landmark report National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from Their Families (1997). The project includes video and audio testimonies from members of the Stolen Generations who have chosen to share their personal stories, as well as an interactive map and a range of teaching resources.
- Australian Government Information and Services: As a starting point, this website provides links to information and resources on Australia’s Indigenous culture and history.
- Australian Museum: The Australian Museum website provides an overview of Indigenous Australians acknowledging that they are not one group; Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people throughout Australia have different thoughts, ideas and beliefs. The site provides information and timelines from the pre-contact period until the present day.
- Share our Pride: Australia has one of the richest and oldest continuing cultures in the world, this website developed by Reconciliation Australia demonstrates the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures. It provides an insight to our shared history.
- Creative Spirits: This website provides extensive information and resources about Aboriginal history and culture. It also provides links to references, books, music and videos if you want to know more about a topic.